Henrico Renews Contract with Dell for New Laptops

Samhita Pendyal

In the 2001 school year, Henrico County started its Teaching and Learning Initiative, an attempt to distribute computers to every middle school student, high school student, and teacher. Their goal was to make sure that every HCPS student had enough and equal access to technology in a technologically advancing world.
When Henrico first started handing out laptops, they started with Apple because of its long time commitment to education. The superintendent at that time said that the iBooks offered the correct toolset that was ideal for Henrico’s educational environment.
12,000 iBook systems with AirPort Wireless Cards were given to every middle school teacher, high school teacher, and high school student. The second phase of this initiative started in 2003, when middle school students received laptops. Before middle school students received a laptop, their parents were required to attend a 90-minute training session on the usage of the laptop, a tradition that continues today.
However, since 2001, when Henrico first got the laptop initiative started, the laptops used for students changed. In 2017, Henrico County got a new deal with Dell. The old Dell Latitudes were switched out with the new Dell Latitudes.
Because of the laptop initiative, students have reported an interest in school.
“Laptops in the classroom have truly been an influential part of my education. Not only have they provided easy access to information and technology, but they have also connected me to my teachers,” said junior Devan Patel.
Students are now more organized and now have a wealth of content because of the laptops.
“I enjoy how much more organized school has become. I really appreciate how much easier it is to get to the work that I need,” said senior Francis Sanchez.
Teachers are also able to communicate more efficiently with their students by combining traditional and contemporary methods of teaching.