Cookout, a popular fast food chain, has finally made its appearance in Short Pump

Skyla Blansett

Only a short five-minute drive down the road from Deep Run, Cookout has attracted many of the students looking for cheap food and a fun, close-to-home spot to hang out with friends.
“I was super excited when Cookout opened down the road because I was able to try it for the first time. The other locations were too far,” sophomore Mara McDermott said.
The students’ favorite things about Cookout include the price of the food and the variety of milkshakes.
“There are so many milkshakes to choose from, and the food is really cheap. I normally don’t pay over $6 for my meal,” senior Emily Griffith said.
Students’ go-to meals include a combo called “the tray,” which allows you to pick an entrée and two sides for less than $5. The combo is usually accompanied by a milkshake, soda, or sweet tea.
“I normally get the tray with a quesadilla, chicken nuggets, fries, and a large Diet Coke,” senior Lauren Gray said.
Some of the locations around Virginia, like the one off of Parham road, only have drive-throughs and walk-ups. The Short Pump location includes the dining area inside with tables and booths where you can enjoy your meal.
“I think the best part about having the sit down area is the comfort, fellowship, and getting away from bad weather,” senior Kristina Pratt said.
Cookout has become an enjoyable place where the Deep Run community can share their love of fried foods and creamy milkshakes, together.