Christmas Mother

Mary Comerford

Since 1942, the Henrico Christmas Mother has donated gift items to families with children, the elderly, and those with disabilities who can’t provide for themselves during the holiday season. From November 13 to November 21, students and teachers contributed to the Christmas Mother through their donations of gift items.
This year, the Henrico Christmas Mother served 15,000 families by giving them the chance to shop for toys and receive food. The school’s Student Council Association holds the collections every season for the gift items. These donations are then brought to a warehouse where those in need can shop. Student Congress decorates the warehouse and prepares the gifts for the arrival of the people in need.
“Volunteers help make posters and decorate the warehouse, sort items, and greet families as they come to visit. This program is responsible for keeping the phrase “Neighbors helping neighbors” alive through the numerous amount of volunteers reaching out each year. This service plays a great role in our community,” senior student congress leader Ryan Hall said.
Mrs. Dickey has been working with the SCA in donating gifts to the Christmas Mother for four years. It is an experience she feels has impacted her life greatly.
“I think it is neat to see how caring and giving so many of the families here can be. We are so fortunate that we don’t have to think about much for the holidays. It’s a humbling experience to see the magnitude of this and who it affects,” Dickey said.
During this “season of giving,” students have made Henrico a better place by giving the less fortunate a holiday they deserve.

Christmas Mother