Taking on the ASVAB

Yunfei Chen

The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery is a military aptitude test that consists of 113 questions on a multitude of subjects, mainly focusing on mechanical, science, technical, verbal, and mathematical skills.
“It was a pretty standard test, the only thing I would say is to study up on the mechanics and electronics portion of the test.” junior Jacob Aguilar said.
All branches of the military use the ASVAB to determine what job a person will hold once he or she enters the U.S. Armed Forces. Each branch has a different standard for acceptance, with the Air Force and Coast Guard requiring the highest scores for entry.
The ASVAB is out of 99 points and has similar questions to an ACT or SAT, which most high school students are accustomed to taking. Getting a score of 35 or higher is considered a good score and will allow for entry into every branch except for the Air Force and Coast Guard, which require 36 and 40 respectively.
“I was surprised by my high score (an 86 compared to the average of 59), and now know I have the qualifications to begin seeking guidance for a military career. For me specifically, I’m interested in Avionics in the Air Force.” junior George Mcloughlin said.
It’s important to know that taking the ASVAB does not mean one is required to serve in or join the military. Rather, it is used as a preparatory test for anyone thinking about joining right after high school or later.
The ASVAB can be taken at Deep Run and is coordinated through the JROTC program. The test can be taken as many times as it takes to acquire the best score, although there are limitations. Assuming a student takes the ASVAB and gets a low score, he or she can retake it 30 days later to see if they improve.
“The ASVAB is the single best test to find out where you’ll fit in the armed forces, and every student should take it once to find their skill set.” senior Reed Hammonds said.
The ASVAB can be taken every 6 months after the second 30-day attempt. The ASVAB can be taken in or out of high school until the desired score is achieved. The test was proctored on November 21.
Overall, the ASVAB is an opportunity for students to figure out what job and skill set best fits them, both in the military and in life.

Taking on the ASVAB