Two teachers achieve big honors by advancing their teaching careers

Celina Ng

Recently, 11 Henrico County Public Schools teachers received certification from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. The program is a national certification program for teachers who want to take their teaching to the next level. Going through the process is a way for them to show that they’re committed to the profession by continuously improving their skills.
Out of those teachers, two were from this school: Mrs. Melissa Daniels and Mrs. Hattie Smart. This is Mrs. Daniels’ third year here, and she currently teaches college prep English 12 and AP Literature and Composition. Previously, she taught at Henrico High School for seven years. Mrs. Smart is one of the school librarians, and she has spent all 11 years of her teaching career at Deep Run.
The process involved creating three portfolios. For each one, the teachers did several lessons with students and gathered examples of student work and teaching materials. Also, they recorded videos of themselves teaching. Then, they wrote commentary where they described, explained, and reflected on the lessons. Additionally, they took a test related to their specific certification area. The entire process took three years.
Mrs. Daniels was certified for English Language Arts/Adolescence and Young Adulthood. She has since gained a renewed appreciation for the teaching profession.
“It’s a difficult job. Teachers need a variety of skill sets to help students learn. In any profession, there are ways to continue growing and improving. This was an avenue I chose in order to continue growing as a teacher,” Mrs. Daniels said.
Mrs. Smart was certified for Library Media/Early Childhood Through Young Adulthood. She was excited to be certified.
“It was a huge honor because very few teachers go through the process. There are only 200 or so National Board Certified Teachers, NBCTs, in all of Virginia, and we rank seventh in the nation for NBCTs. It was such a relief to know I had achieved it, and I felt a huge feeling of accomplishment,” Mrs. Smart said.
The certification is valid for five years. Other teachers who are certified include Mrs. Emma Alcazar, Mrs. Lisa Hand, Mrs. Courtney Hawkins, and Mrs. Elizabeth Berry.
Overall, being certified gave Mrs. Daniels and Mrs. Smart the opportunity to advance their teaching careers, while allowing them to be recognized for their hard work.