All-Star Students Learn on the Court

Annual All-Star basketball games have started again this year. All Star games are a great opportunity for students with disabilities to compete in basketball games and represent their school against other teams in the area.
The All-Star games started after teachers from local schools wanted to create a more inclusive league for all students with disabilities.
The athletes enjoy being able to compete in friendly competitions and see friends who attend other schools. It is a time for them to get out some energy, while also learning about teamwork and sportsmanship.
Not only does the team look forward to these games, but members of the club Best Buddies have fun being able to see their friends play in the games. Best Buddies is a club led by Mr. Kern and the other exceptional education teachers where students can get to know students in exceptional education and let them feel more included in the school.
“My favorite thing about All-Star Basketball games are seeing the joy and excitement on our student’s faces when the gym is filled with their peers cheering them on. These games are important because it creates a more inclusive school environment where everyone can be viewed as a contributing member of the entire school process,” said Kern.
Mr. Kern, members of Best Buddies, and other teachers are able to go on the court and help out with the team. They can also stay on the bench and encourage team members. Other classes also get the chance to come out and cheer for the teams.
Sophomore Claire Wright has been a member of Best Buddies since the start of her freshman year. Wright enjoys attending the games.
“Going to the All Star games is so fun. I look forward to them because it is great to be able to cheer my friends on the court and hang out with the players on the bench. It is also important for them to get to be a part of a team that they otherwise may not have been able to get the experience of,” Wright said.
Everyone is encouraged to come to the gym to watch our students participate in these games and help cheer them on along with members of the Best Buddies Club as the players learn and grow on the court.

All-Star Students Learn on the Court