National School Counseling Calls for Celebration

Mary Comerford

National School Counseling Week celebrates the school counselors’ dedication and hard work. It occurred the first week in February and acknowledged the work of our five counselors.
The week was established to gain public attention for counselors in U.S. schools whose contribution leads to student success. Counselors have a range of jobs, from ensuring students’ academic achievement to career development.
This year, the community came together to honor our counselors. Parents and students wrote notes, brought desserts, and sent emails. The principals provided lunch for the counselors one day, while PTSA brought lunch another day. Counselors also decided to acknowledge the help teachers give them.
“I really enjoyed providing the teachers with a continental breakfast to thank them for all they do for us counselors,” school counselor Lisa Kaplan said.
For the whole week, students played a guessing game involving the counselors, so they had the chance to get to know them better. An anonymous counselor was described over the loudspeaker and students had to submit their guesses to win prizes.
This year, U.S. Congress has actually introduced resolutions declaring February 5 through 9 as National School Counseling Week. As schools across the nation celebrated this year, students recognized that our counselors should be appreciated for their hard work not just one week every year, but every day.