DECA Districts

On Jan. 11, DECA students went to Regency Mall to compete in the first of three competitions. DECA is a club for students enrolled in a marketing class. There are three types of marketing classes that students can take: sports marketing, fashion marketing, and marketing.
“Students are given a scenario, and they have ten minutes to come up with a plan on how to improve the business they are given,” Mrs. Jackie Herrmann, the club sponsor, said.
“It’s a really fun thing to do with friends, because you get to travel, and compete together,” senior Sarah Chapman said.
At the beginning of the year, students are given the option to compete in role play, or create a manual for a business. At Districts, students compete in role play, whereas at States and Internationals, students compete in both role play and manual competitions.
“Fashion marketing has taught me so much about the fashion industry, so much that I would like to get a degree in marketing in college,” Chapman said.
Colleges are very interested in students who are involved in DECA because it shows them that the students are business ready and able to balance work and school. Also, it shows them that students are invested in a leadership club.
If students place well in states, they move on to internationals, which is being held in Atlanta, GA, this year. Internationals lasts for a week.
This year, Mrs. Herrmann and Mrs. Sarah Voyack, the other marketing teacher, hope to have more students qualify for internationals.

DECA Districts