Teachers’ Advice for the AP Exams

Students in AP classes are gearing up for the annual AP exams, which are college-level tests administered each May by The College Board. These tests offer the opportunity to earn credits and advanced placement in college courses, depending on one’s score. The exams are scored on a scale from 1 to 5, with 5 being the best score possible, 3 being considered passing, and 1 being the lowest score possible. Those planning to take any of the exams may be wondering not only what the best ways to prepare for the tests are, but also what it is actually like to take a test. With a multitude of AP subject teachers available to provide insight on how to prepare, students can decide which methods work best for them, so they can achieve the highest score possible.
Mr. Clay Hudson, an AP US History teacher, has the benefit of not only being able to give advice as a teacher, but also as a former student who took multiple AP exams, including AP US Government, AP Literature, AP US History, and AP Calculus BC.
“I was always fully invested in class by doing all the work on time. I think students need to realize that the things they are doing in class are geared to prepare them for the exam. Although individual preparation is good, being a part of the class is irreplaceable,” Mr. Hudson said.
Mr. Kareem Texler, an AP Calculus teacher, had more advice to impart upon students getting ready for the exams. Though he did not take any AP exams as a student, his experience as a teacher preparing students for the exams has allowed him to find certain methods of preparation and some useful tips that have helped students in the past. Like Mr. Hudson, Mr. Texler believes that being invested in the class is one of the most important ways to prepare for the exams.
“Your engagement, focus, and preparation in the two months prior to the exam are the most important. It’s not something that can be crammed for and students should be doing a little bit of review every day,” Mr. Hudson said.
Another useful tip he suggested was for students to create their own study guides or complete their teacher’s study guide booklets. He also recommended going to any extra help seminars that may be provided.
Every student has their own different study methods, but according to Mr. Texler and Mr. Hudson, one of the most important ways to prepare for AP exams is to simply be engaged in the class by attending each class, completing all the work on time, and seeing teachers for extra help if necessary. All of the AP exams are scheduled to be taken from May 1-12, with at least one each day except for weekends, meaning that students planning on taking any exams have plenty of time to get ready.

Teachers’ Advice for the AP Exams