Mrs. Lakey

Maria Lavrentyeva, Editorials Editor

Mrs. Jill Lakey, one of the English teachers, was born in Short Pump, Richmond, and was part of the very first graduating class of Mills E. Godwin High School.
In college, she majored in political science, but then realized that she was “too idealistic for the reality of being a politician.” Lakey then majored in English and minored in religious studies and theater, graduating from Virginia Tech.
“I realized I was extremely fortunate to go to college, so it was important to me to give back to the community. I wanted to work in a profession where I could make a difference every day. I tend to see the best in people and the potential of situations, so teaching is a perfect fit for me,” Mrs. Lakey said.
“Once I started taking literature courses, I loved analyzing literature to determine underlying ideas, like organizing secret messages of a puzzle to discover a true, or deeper meaning. Literature allows for individual thought and exploration of the human experience, from any time or place,” Lakey said. “It also helped me become really good at arguing my point effectively. I have a lot of brothers and sisters, so that totally appealed to me!”
Her first teaching job was being an aerobics instructor at the YMCA and board substitute at Varina High School, but her first real experience was teaching in Roanoke.
She taught for eight to nine years, but then had to leave to care for her three children, who were all under three years old.
“I’d been teaching aerobics part-time during this time as well, so long story short, I ended up working my way up the ladder to become the general manager of American Family Fitness in Short Pump for over 17 years,” Mrs. Lakey said.
When her daughters grew up and went to college, she decided it was time to get back to her true passion- teaching.
Her teaching philosophy is to focus on what students already know, rather than focusing on what they don’t, and using that knowledge to develop confidence in what they do and, consequently, the ability to think independently.
Mrs. Lakey, a Hokies fan, chose to teach in Deep Run because of several reasons.
“DRHS is truly family. My three daughters and two nieces are graduates, and my two nephews are Wildcats this year. Not to mention, the administration and faculty I’ve met this year have been remarkably kind and helpful. Perhaps most importantly, however, the students are considerate and make me laugh each and every day.”