Impact of heat on athletes

Jacob Butcher, Staff Writer

This summer introduced a scorching heat to athletes. The hot weather brought particular hardships for students participating in late summer and fall sports. The heat caused students and coaches to be flexible with their practice intensities and times. Making sure that the athletes are healthy, hydrated, and prepared for their sports is a challenge.
For the cross country team, they decided to move their practice to early morning before the heat became too much. Teams have even had to cancel practice in order to ensure the safety of the athletes.
“This summer has been very difficult. It has been very hot outside and we have had a multiple of our practices canceled. Our practices have been extremely sweaty and gross,” said Holland Brown of the girls’ varsity field hockey team when she was asked how the summer heat has impacted her.
Some teams have decided to move their practices indoors on days where the heat has been too much to conquer. Although, finding places to do that throughout the school have caused challenges in that.
“It was super-hot and sticky in the gym, it was brutal,” said varsity girls’ volleyball player Riley Burcher when talking about the day when the air conditioning was broken during one of their games. She also talked about how they had to go outside for conditioning. They ran on the track every day for working out and getting in shape for the season.
In conclusion, the summer heat forced many changes and challenges to the schedule of athletes and their teams. Even though the heat caused challenges throughout the summer the teams are still looking for great seasons this fall.

Impact of heat on athletes