LGBTQ+ club is more than just letters to involved students

Photo courtesy of: Lauren Mintz

Sophomore Sydney Marcel leads OSGE this year.

Lauren Mintz, Staff Writer

Each club here allows students to engage with one another and connect through their experiences and passions. One club that has capitalized on those connections is the Organization of Sexuality and Gender Equality (OSGE). 

The club represents much more than a bunch of letters.  It was established as a safe community for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer or questioning students (LGBTQ+) to celebrate pride, diversity, individuality, and sexuality.  

“During meetings, we talk about important LGBTQ topics at the school, such as if you want to change your name in the school system, and ways to make yourself more comfortable,” sophomore and OSGE President Sydney Marcel said. 

Research has shown that student involvement in school-based groups organized around issues impacting them can have a positive impact on student health, wellness, and academic performance.  Clubs like OSGE are important to student well-being because they allow students to meet and socialize with peers with similar identities who share common challenges.  

“What inspired me to join this club was my friend was starting it, and I have been looking for a club like this for a while now,” sophomore Gillian Pierce said.

The OSGE club is not just used as a safe space for LGBTQ+ students, but also an awareness opportunity for other students. 

“We plan on giving more awareness to a lot of LGBTQ+ subjects and issues throughout the history of everything,” Pierce said.  

According to Pierce, other clubs similar to OSGE are important, but this club is meaningful and impactful to the LGBTQ+ community, and they look forward to having more students join the club because of the inclusivity it brings. Meetings are once a week; interested students should contact Sydney Marcel or club sponsor Ms. Dondero.