Sheryl Gibson posing with her ‘Little Shop of Horrors’ team after the play.

Sheryl Gibson: Influencing Students Through Theatre

Sheryl Gibson has been teaching and influencing students through English 9, Theatre I, II, III, IV, and Technical theatre teacher for 25 years. Gibson graduated from Godwin High School, and received her English degree from James Madison University. She then pursued an education degree and theatre certification from Virginia Commonwealth University.

“I think one of my most recent favorite [memories] is when I saw theatre transform a shy, mostly non-verbal student, blossom[ing] into a character on stage that literally blew me and the audience away.  I was in tears to see how theatre became the catalyst for this student to step outside of himself and create art so freely and effectively.

Most of the rewards of teaching come in those moments when a student realizes their potential

— Gibson said.

“I think the most important thing I have learned as a teacher is that building relationships is the foundation of a successful career.  Getting to know your students and truly caring about their progress is key to engagement,” Gibson said.

In her free time, Gibson enjoys traveling, hiking, and spending time with her first grandchild who was born in September. 

Her favorite hobby is scrapbooking. “I have hundreds of volumes of books chronicling my family life,” Gibson said.

The Sentinel • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All comments posted will be reviewed before being published on our site.
All The Sentinel Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *