Creative spirit themes for fall sports games results in increased attendance

Fans enjoy the football game against Patrick Henry on Sept. 17.

Josh Epstein, Sports Editor

Sports games are the ultimate after-school activity, combining all of students’ favorite things to do: watching sports, hanging out with friends, and making memories that will last far past their high school years. For some students, that sounds like the perfect way to spend their post-school evenings. However, other students are stuck in the middle of wanting to go to games and  wanting to call it a night and stay at home. One big factor that has convinced many students to attend the games is the innovative spirit themes. 

Newly-appointed can man, senior Nate Baker, has come up with some elaborate themes for the sports game this year.

“To come up with the themes for school sports events, I usually look at what was done in years past,” Baker said. “For football season, the themes generally stay the same throughout the years. Basketball season is when I like to get creative and come up with new and different ones.”

To come up with the themes for school sports events, I usually look at what was done in years past,” Baker said. “For football season, the themes generally stay the same throughout the years. Basketball season is when I like to get creative and come up with new and different ones.

— Nathaniel Baker

Although Baker is in charge of coming up with the themes, he said that he gets input from other students to get an idea of themes that will please the majority of the fans. 

“To come up with the themes, I like to talk to friends and other seniors to get their feedback. It’s more fun when everyone enjoys the theme. I like doing things where everyone participates,” Baker said.

Most students who attend the sporting events, including Baker, have at least one spirit theme night circled on the calendar. 

“My favorite theme is usually around Halloween when we do a costume one. It’s fun to see what all the different costumes are.” Baker said. 

With the fall sports season being in full swing, there won’t be a better time than right now to attend a fall sports game. From football, to field hockey, to volleyball, there are plenty of sports games where you can show off your school spirit. Head to Nate Baker’s Twitter page to see the spirit themes for the fall sports season updated each week.