Renehan wins DRHS Christie award

Renehan poses after winning the award. (Photo from DRHS Instagram)

Rachel Minnix, Staff Writer

Like most schools, we recognize and honor teachers who go the extra mile on the job and create an outstanding experience for students in the classroom. To be recognized and win one of these annual Teacher of the Year award, teachers must first be nominated, typically by their own colleagues. This year, exceptional education teacher Jessi Renehan was named the Deep Run Christie Award winner in recognition for her hard work.

All schools in Henrico County name a Christie award winner, from elementary school to high school, once a year. This award isn’t for just anyone. It intends to honor those who go above and beyond in assisting students with different abilities, including exceptional education teachers. The nomination came as a surprise to Renehan.                                                                                                                      

“It was very surprising and nice to win this award. I thought it was super cool that teachers had nominated me and noticed all my hard work,” Renehan said. 

Exceptional education and teaching in that area requires more than just working with students with diverse abilities. Renehan’s job requires a lot of paperwork and communication with many different people; it needs a lot of organization, which is one of Rehehan’s strengths.

“Organization helps me make sure I keep everything going to plan and clean,” Renehan said.

Renehan was at a staff meeting when she found out she won the award, and later in the day, she was in the middle of a classroom teaching when principal Dr. Brian Fellows announced the winners over the school loudspeaker. 

“When I heard my name on the speakers, my face instantly went bright red, but I was very happy and honored because a lot of teachers here at Deep Run work really hard, so it was cool to be picked out as someone among that,” Renehan said.    

Many students and staff reached out to congratulate her which made her experience even better. Mostly, Renehan was just grateful to be recognized among such fierce competition.

“I never expected myself to win an award at Deep Run because the odds are pretty low with the amount of staff members we have. There are a lot of really great teachers, so everything is pretty competitive,” Renehan said.