Difficult but worth it: Junior shares approach to AP courses

Nishka Malhotra breaks from studying.

Photo courtesy of: Nishka Malhotra

Nishka Malhotra breaks from studying.

Madisyn Feliciano, Staff Writer

The majority of students at Deep Run are enrolled in Advanced Placement (AP) courses this year, with 69 percent of students taking at least one AP class. AP courses are college-level courses that provide students the potential to earn college credit by earning a qualifying score on the end-of-course test. Seeing that college classes are much more expensive than the cost of the test, students eagerly seize this opportunity, hoping to earn college credit. 

While this is financially beneficial, these courses come with a great deal of work and an overall more rigorous curriculum. Junior Nishka Malhotra, feels the stress not only of her college future, but also in managing her multiple AP course workload.

Malhotra is taking three AP classes: AP Language and Composition, AP Physics I, and AP Statistics. As a junior with college in mind, it can be hard to keep up with all her work to earn the grades she wants to see on her transcript. 

Malhotra has developed an approach that helps her more effectively prioritize her work so she isn’t battling exhaustion while working on her most challenging assignment.

“I finish the work that is the hardest and the most lengthy. This takes me around five hours.” Malhotra said.

Because these courses are so accelerated, it is imperative for students to keep up with their work and seek help if needed, such as tutoring or online resources.     

“I review the notes and classwork and then work on weak areas of the subject at Khan Academy,” Malhotra said. 

Consequently, this helps her not only keep up with the material but also helps her improve when she doesn’t understand something, like in Physics. Additionally, she uses websites like “Crash Course” and “AP Classroom” to better prepare for class.

Time management is also crucial when taking on the responsibility of AP courses. There are so many layers to an AP course; there is the preparation for tests and long-term assignments, quizzes, the final test, and homework given daily.

“I keep a goal of the time by which I should complete my homework, and then I study for any upcoming quizzes or tests,” Malhotra said.

Studying for tests can take hours, especially if it is in a science or math, like Chemistry, Calculus or Physics. Like college, this study time does not even include homework. Most AP courses have a homework load that takes students three to five hours per week to complete. Malhotra works daily to make sure the work doesn’t pile up, a vital tactic considering the pace of the classes.

“I finish my homework and study any topics which I don’t understand so that the workload doesn’t build on itself.” she said.

But why take an AP class if it is so rigorous and exhausting? Is it even worth it?  Despite the big commitment, Malhotra does recommend it because it “looks good on college applications” and helps prepare students for the level of work they can expect in college, she said.

For more information on AP courses, students can visit the College Board website or speak with their school counselors.