Veteran teachers share 20 years of Deep Run changes

Veteran teacher Mike Guyer has been at Deep Run since its opening. (Photo courtesy of Mike Guyer)

Veteran teacher Mike Guyer has been at Deep Run since it’s opening. (Photo courtesy of Mike Guyer)

Grace Pleasants, Staff Writer

Not many people have worked at Deep Run High School since it opened nearly 20 years ago in 2002, but art teacher Mike Guyer and English teacher Sheryl Gibson have been through it all. From when the school had trailers for classrooms to when the global pandemic was at its peak, Guyer and Gibson have stood with the school through thick and thin.

“Deep Run has changed in so many ways since we first opened our doors in the fall of 2002! I remember that first year so well, as I only taught a total of 65 students” Guyer said. “I even had an Art III class of only five total students. When I think back to what it was like in the beginning, I realize now how utopian that scenario actually was.” 

When the school first opened, there was just a small group of students attending the school because only freshman and sophomores were in attendance. Most of the classes were on the first floor only. As the years went on, the school started to grow and expand and eventually become what it is today.

Sheryl Gibson has been an English and Theatre teacher at Deep Run since its opening in 2002. (Photo courtesy of Sheryl Gibson )

“I think we certainly have perfected routines and practices. In theatre, specifically, we have better equipment and our productions have gotten more polished over the years.  Many of the clubs and organizations have grown and academic teams have won dozens of competitions and awards,” Gibson said.

Gibson also loves to watch the traditions like the Homecoming parade be passed down through generations of students and last throughout the years. 

There is no doubt that the school has had its fair share of changes, and not always for the better. The original staff members have observed a shift in staff and community involvement.

“One thing Deep Run seems to lack now that it once had is an overall buy-in from faculty to the total school program,” Guyer said. At any given football game, no matter how badly our season might have been going at the time, you’d see so many faculty members chatting against the fence with each other, parents, and students.”

Most of the change though has been for the better, according to Gibson.

“Deep Run keeps getting better and better year after year. It is an amazing school,” Gibson said. “I think it is unfortunate that sometimes our reputation is tainted by small incidents that involve very few students. I am very proud to work at Deep Run and think that we have incredibly talented students and teachers!”

Guyer agrees, noting the improved inclusiveness in the school community.

“I think our school and society as a whole is much more equity and inclusion focused. We still have a lot of work to do, but I have watched a strong evolution of diversity and acceptance in this community,” Guyer said. 

These Deep Run veterans can’t wait to see what the school has in store for the many years to come.