Photo courtesy of: Stephanie O'Shea

Wildcat Spotlight: Stephanie O’Shea

Stephanie O’Shea, a new teacher on the exceptional education team, has been teaching for the past nineteen years and is dual-certified in both English and Special Education. She started her teaching career at Hermitage High School, where she taught ninth and tenth-grade English for 12 years. She then transferred to Tucker High School where she taught general education for six years. 

Despite her veteran teacher status, there were many things she had to adapt to at Deep Run. She had to learn the layout, schedules, and other faculty members. Her favorite space in the school is her little cubicle area in the exceptional education planning center because it is “her space.”

“Last year, I didn’t have any space at all; my room was used all day long,” O’Shea said. 

She experienced a bit of culture shock when school first started. One Lunch was brand new to her. 

“The logistics of 1,900 students walking around all at once was just insurmountable to me,” O’Shea said. 

O’Shea strives to challenge herself every day by always being willing to learn so she can extend her education. 

“If you keep on building new skills, then it helps you open new doors for yourself, too,” O’Shea said. 

O’Shea is a floating teacher, which means that she doesn’t have a classroom of her own and that she is in a different classroom each block. This is a difficult situation because she has to carry all of her supplies with her, which often leads to leaving things behind. However, she is very impressed with how responsible the student body is. 

“These kids are really invested in their education, and they have no problem coming and asking about what they’ve learned and what they need to do,” O’Shea said.

O’Shea is becoming more familiar with her way around the school and is excited for what the new year will bring.

The Sentinel • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All comments posted will be reviewed before being published on our site.
All The Sentinel Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *