Football strive to make a “Deep Run” in the playoffs

Ryan McFarlane, Assistant Sports Editor

The football team has bounced back after starting out with two unfortunate losses including Atlee and a good fight with No.4 Henrico. The team is coming off of a win against Thomas Jefferson, and striving to become a powerhouse in the 804 area.
“I feel more motivated after the Henrico game. Going into the season, I knew the capabilities of this team, and I knew how far we could go. That first half [against Henrico] showed exactly the potential this team has, as well as the level of play we can play. We are tackling some interior issues, so we will compete with any team in the area, no cap,” senior captain Matt Johnson said.
This team has a lot of versatile weapons such as seniors James Ellis, Aidan Wheeler, and Matt Johnson and sophomore wideout Gabe Henderson. With young sophomore talent Bo Kite under center, the Wildcats have hope and determination for this season and more to come.
Senior captains Matt Johnson, Austin pierce, Vance Mizelle and Cooper Hamby are holding their team accountable and displaying leadership qualities to head in the right direction.
“My style of leadership is unique to myself. I try to get to know my teammates on a personal level and establish bonds that build mutual respect between us. I also try to exemplify what I want out of my team at all times; I want to be a multi-faced leader.” Johnson said.
Johnson has multiple walk-on scholarship offers including The University of Virginia and Virginia Tech.
The wildcats are currently 4-3 with John Marshall up next on their schedule. Their season has been interrupted multiple times by inclement weather, but this year they have new dynamics to make a “Deep Run” in the playoffs.