Seniors strive to lead baseball team to state championship

Azzah Abdoalrhman, Co-Editor in Chief

Halfway into their season, the boys varsity baseball team is striving for a successful year as they work their way back to states in hopes of winning a championship title.

The boys were at a rocky point last year being a much younger team and the last seed in the region. They eventually finished the season with a record of 11-9. However, winning regionals last year and making it to the state semifinals gave the boys something to look forward to in the next season.

This year the team is led by coaches Josh Aldridge, Dean Grant, Tim Fenn, Rossie Dodson, and George Gardner. The boys currently have a winning record of 7-2. Their only goal is to go to states and win.

The team is led by senior captains Eli Weisner and Brooks Mazey. Weisner will be continuing his baseball career at Furman University, and Mazey will continue his baseball career at Randolph-Macon College.

Senior Jack Wrenn has played on the team all four years of high school. As a senior, it will be difficult for him to leave the team next year, as he has formed many friendships over the years.

“My favorite part about baseball is the brotherhood. You get the opportunity to build so many unbreakable bonds out on the field. I’ll never forget the friendships I have made,” Wrenn said.

In addition, one of Wrenn’s personal goals this season is to contribute as much as he can to his team. He has had many obstacles in his past as he has been recovering from a shoulder surgery that took place in July 2018.

“Arm problems plagued my season last year, and one of the most important things to me is staying healthy and being able to have an impact on my team,” Wrenn said.

It’s going to be interesting to see where the boys place in the region; however, the team is hoping to end the season with a strong record and win a trophy for their school.