Leader of the pack: girls soccer hopes to run away with first seed

Catherine Shen, Co-Editor in Chief

As regionals and states approach, the varsity girls soccer team is working hard to capture these titles.

They had a great season last year in which they were undefeated in the regular season with only three goals scored on them. However, after their last season’s loss in the state semifinals, the team is working hard to get redemption.

“Our team goals this year are just making sure we practice how we are going to play during a game and making sure the younger girls feel welcome. We try to take one game at a time and focus on always working hard together,” senior captain Emma Schwarz said.

She is accompanied by other senior captains Anni Waldenmaier, Natalie Nettemeyer, and Hannah McLaughlin. Seniors Bailey Tran and Cali Bruce are also important starters who have committed to play soccer in college.

Head coach Steve Chapman and assistant coach Bryan Wharton are both important spearheads of the team by continuously motivating the team to do their best. They lost three seniors from last year, but they have three new freshmen: Cailin Coetzee, Ellie Smith, and Julia Stephenson. These new members help the team to defeat their difficult competition.

“Our biggest rival would be Freeman this year. The games are always super competitive, and we always have to fight hard to win,” Schwarz said.

They have already earned redemption by beating Freeman 1-0 on March 21. They defeated another difficult competition, James River, 2-0 on March 19. (will update with one more score later)

Throughout the season, the girls form long-lasting close relationships with all the members.

“This program has been some of my favorite high school memories. We are all so close, and it is so much fun competing with some of your best friends. My soccer team will always hold a special place in my heart,” Schwarz said.