Endgame Review

Max Munoz, Staff Writer

It feels awkward to refer to “Avengers: Endgame” as a movie; the way it’s structured betrays the label in almost every way. While it could be considered the fourth film in an “Avengers” series, the more accurate description is the finale to the world’s first successful interconnected cinematic universe.

In other words, “Endgame” is less of a traditional film and more of an experience. Thus, attempting to criticize “Endgame” as you would a movie is a fool’s errand, as well as a disservice to all parties involved. You simply can’t examine the characters’ arcs and traits here without first examining what came before.

“Endgame” actually falls jarringly short in more than a few areas as far as conventional films are concerned. It’s paced quite poorly, clocking in at a slow three hours and two minutes with three noticeably different tones per act. This is far from the gripping, action-packed romp that was “Infinity War”; the abundance of action in the third act is night-and-day compared to the first two. Plot holes, shlock, and fan service are also frequent, with the second act shoving all three in the viewer’s face nonstop.

Yet, it’s all so easily overlooked. Since 2008’s “Iron Man,” Marvel Studios’ speciality has always been in its characters.“Endgame” rewards those special fans and viewers who’ve stayed invested in these characters since the beginning. Fan favorites Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man finally receive the dramatic conclusion to their near-decade-long arcs. New faces such as Captain Marvel, Black Panther, and Spider-Man get to build on themes from their own movies.

More than anything else, “Endgame” benefits from the 11 years of careful planning and love that led up to it. Different visions and styles from directors and actors alike all mix into a beautiful melting pot of color, heroics, action, and heart. It’s rewarding accomplishments like these that cement not just “Endgame,” but the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a whole, as one of the most important staples of cinema ever. Rating: 8/10

“They did a lot of confusing time travel stuff, and it didn’t necessarily adhere to its own rules at some points. To get viewers to ignore it, they put in ‘feel-good moments’. Like, ‘hey, we really didn’t write the best plot, but uh make Captain America say some cool stuff.’ Kind of lazy if you ask me.” – Seamus Carmody, sophomore