New art murals

Lauren Brennan, Staff Writer

After high school graduation, students have numerous paths they can take. They can directly enter the workforce, attend university, take a gap year, etc. In like manner, one popular option is joining the United States military. Reasons for joining the military vary depending on the person. Regardless, future servicemen and women are assured of consistent employment through the military, and they can receive discounted or even full coverage of any college education undertaken after their service via the GI Bill.

There are five branches of the United States military: army, air force, marines, navy, and coast guard. Senior Arnaldo Espinal will be joining the air force after graduation.

“[I decided to do this] mostly because of me being in ROTC. Even if I went to college, I was then going to try to get into the Air Force. I really don’t know [what I’ll be doing there] yet; I don’t find out until I get in. [I’m most excited] to move around and learn new things about the world,” Espinal said.

In central Virginia, there are recruitment offices for all branches of the military, including the national guard.    

Some elect to attend a military based university. This year, seniors Andrew Cawley, Lou Mustian, and Tyler Bradt will attend Virginia Military Institute.

“I want to become an officer in the United States Air Force, and needed a military college that gives its cadets a strenuous, challenging, and rewarding cadetship,” Cawley said. “This school fits me perfectly because of that constant strive for perfection that I desire.”

Another path one can take is attending a service academy. A service academy is a school dedicated to the training and education of future military officers. There are only five in the United States: The Military Academy in West Point, New York, the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado, the Coast Guard Academy in New London, Connecticut, and the Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, New York.

Senior Aidan Murphy will be attending the Merchant Marine Academy this upcoming fall.

“I want to serve my country while being challenged both mentally and physically. Additionally, the academy is free, so I can graduate without any debt. I also have a guarantee of being commissioned as an officer in the military, either in the US Navy or in the Merchant Marines,” Murphy said.

Regardless of personal opinion, it is undoubtable that those choosing these paths will have a profound impact on their lives.