Track teams race towards the postseason

Reed Horner, Staff Writer

The track team’s strong season is coming to an end. The athletes have competed in many meets, and only have two regular season meets left, followed by regionals and states. While meet scores aren’t kept until regionals, individuals have enjoyed countless personal records and great races.

At this point, seventeen athletes have qualified for regionals, while four are state and qualified headed into regionals.

Another highlight of the season was the girls team qualifying for nationals in the distance medley relay.  The DMR is comprised of a 1200 meter, 400 meter, 800 meter, and 1600 meter legs. Led by sophomore Riley Schindel and freshmen Janie Sanborn, Kenzie Dillman and Claire Nowak, the team ran a blazing 12:31. Also on the girl’s team, senior Lily Snow, Dillman and Sanborn have all qualified individually for states.  

On the boys team, junior Colby Burcham has qualified for states in the 1600 meter run.  In addition, senior Jake Schindel is only two hundredths of a second off of the states time for the 1600 and will look to qualify before the end of the season.  The boys 4×800 relay is also state- qualified. It is comprised of Schindel, Burcham, Josh Donnelly and Michael Tull. This team is also hoping to win the 4×800 at the state meet.  Finally, freshman Michael Tull has had a stand out season, running 4:27 in the 1600 which qualified him for the freshman race at nationals. He will also look to hit the 1600 state time.

The team is looking to continue its successful season in the postseason with high placements at both regionals and states.