Unique sports year results in adjusted plans for coaches and athletes

The Varsity Football team runs out to practice during the 2019-2020 season.

Josh Epstein, Sports Editor

With how drastically this year’s high school sports season has been altered, it has forced athletes to change their workouts and routines from a typical season. The fall and spring sports seasons have been pushed back a few months, which will result in different playing circumstances. For example, football, usually played in the fall, will now be played in February and March, which can create vastly different weather and field conditions. Also, with winter sports being cancelled, many athletes will now find themselves without a sport to play.

I am very positive that our team will adapt to any and all challenges that come our way this season, and we will come out as a stronger and more unified team in the end.

— Morgan Nash

In addition to athletes, coaches will have to change their gameplans and adjust how the team works out. One of these coaches is Morgan Nash, head coach of the Girls Lacrosse team. Nash said that although the team hasn’t made any drastic changes yet, they know what is to be expected for this upcoming season. 

“Our plans have not changed much as of yet,” Nash said. “We know we have a shorter season with less games, so we will be very invested in the games we do play so we can make it to the postseason.” 

Nash also said that with all of the changes to this season, she expects two main factors to have the biggest impact on the team. 

“I think that the biggest difference is going to be the level of intensity the girls bring,” Nash said. “I know so many of our students have been itching to get out and compete, and they have missed their teammates and sports very much. Especially with a shortened season, the girls are going to bring every ounce of intensity they can to the games. I am very positive that our team will adapt to any and all challenges that come our way this season, and we will come out as a stronger and more unified team in the end.”

While many athletes will be changing their workout plans and routines, others may not. Junior Anthony Greco, who has now been on the Football team for three years, said that the delayed season has not affected his preparation for football. 

“No, I’m going to keep it the same since it works for me,” Greco said. “Just because the season is delayed, that doesn’t mean that the sport has changed in any way.” 

Greco’s teammate on the football team, Sophomore Colin Clegg, said that the biggest effect of the delayed season for him is how conditioned and prepared he will be. 

“I have had the opportunity to get stronger physically, and trying to get better at my position,” Clegg said. 

Overall, there have and will be more coaches and athletes who will have to change how they prepare for their seasons. To find more about the delayed sports calendar, athletes should contact the coaches of their specific sport.