‘Cats football continues quest for triumph

Senior quarterback Bo Kite in action.

Ryan McFarlane, Editor-in-Chief

Last year, the football team put together a historic season notching 10 wins and zero losses.  This was their most dominant season since current NFL safety Antone Exum Jr. was the quarterback for the black and blue in 2006.  

In this unusual year, the season was fortunately able to be played within the short time frame left in the school year.  However, the season was shortened by a few games and there was no raucous student section.  Instead, the stands consisted of a few family members for each player.  Nonetheless, football will be played.

This season, the squad was led by senior quarterback Bo Kite and senior wideout Miles Ellis.  Both Kite and Ellis are continuing their careers at the collegiate level.  Kite has committed to Army West Point and Ellis has committed to Virginia Tech.  Both were key pieces to the offense as they worked toward their year end goals.

“Overall, the season has gone as well as a ‘COVID-19 season’ can go besides losing some tough games,” Kite said.

The Wildcats came out swinging with a win again Tucker, followed by a dominant, convincing 40-13 win against the Freeman Mavericks on Mar. 12.  The team had a rocky season following those wins, but fought their way to the middle of the pack in the Colonial region with a record of 4-3.

“I want to finish out the season strong and enjoy every moment with my teammates,” Kite said. 

As announced April 1, Chad Hornik is stepping down from his duties as head coach.  Hornik cited ‘spending time with his young girls’ as why he is stepping away from the program.  

The final game of the regular season was April 4 at home against cross-town rivals Godwin.  This matchup resulted in a one-sided, 28-0 victory for the Wildcats.