Exams are out, students shout

Rae Rectenwald, Staff Writer

With a stressful school year ending, everyone is excited about summer. Something else that students have been excited about is a new policy that was put into place for final exams for this year. Henrico County Public Schools (HCPS) recently announced that all final exams would be canceled. 

This news was a huge relief for many HCPS students. Exams and tests, in general, are always considered a sensitive topic, as they can be very stressful. Many students worry about upcoming tests and put their maximum effort into preparing for them.

I appreciate that this decision was made, especially since it helps lower both students’ and teachers’ stress as we approach the end of this very unusual school year.

— Social Studies Teacher, Jaqueline Dondero

“I think I support the fact that exams are canceled because this year has been different from any other school year,” sophomore Sunidhi Chip said. “No one has ever experienced an entire year of virtual school, and the whole process is just so different and new. With everything going on, it would be pretty scary to just throw exams in your face.”

Students are not the only ones who experience stress during the window of the final exam. Many teachers are also glad that they won’t be mandatory.  

“I’m very happy with the decision to cancel all final exams. I appreciate that this decision was made, especially since it helps lower both students’ and teachers’ stress as we approach the end of this very unusual school year,” said social studies teacher Jaqueline Dondero. 

Despite final exams being cancelled,  the county has decided to create an optional replacement assignment. Administrators have instead introduced a fourth quarter assessment that students and families can opt into and complete during the traditional exam week.. These new assignments can only help and not hurt a student’s overall grade. It was recommended to complete this assignment if you are currently in the state of failing a class, but students and families must have opted in by June 10.