Statistics prove sophomore is superior studier

Estelle Brousseau

Slevin studies with headphones in. (Photo provided by Sophia Slevin)

Estelle Brousseau, Staff Writer

Sophomore Sophia Slevin and junior James Pennyworth study in very different ways. The former puts on music with almost no words, and the latter puts on random music. Their opinions on taking notes don’t match either. However, a scientist could tell you which of the two student’s differing methods of studying is more efficient.

In a study conducted in 2019, 68 percent of people ages 18-34 in the United States listen to music on a daily basis. It’s no surprise then that some students listen to music while studying. Slevin says she prefers music that isn’t too fast or with a lot of lyrics for her study sessions. 

“It stimulates my brain because I need to have multiple things going on,” Slevin said. 

According to a blog post from Northcentral University, 60 to 70 beats per minute is the golden tempo to listen to while working. Classical music, such as Beethoven, commonly has that tempo. Not only that, but music with no lyrics isn’t as distracting to our brains. This makes classical music the ideal music to listen to while studying, according to the study. They also note that having the music at a soft volume level where it can dissolve into background noise is key.  

This is exactly what Slevin does. 

“It’s not music I can listen to and dance to,” Slevin said. “It’s music I associate with studying. Chill stuff that I can listen to on a low volume.” 

Pennyworth doesn’t have a preference for a particular kind of music while studying. 

“I just put my phone on a radio station,” he said. “While I’m studying I want to hear new songs and see if they interest me.”

The Institution for the Future of Education states that “writing with pencil and paper allows people to summarize and organize information in their own words and ensures more profound and natural coding.”  Slevin agrees with this statement, explaining that it helps her memorize information easier. 

“I like to do it on paper because writing it helps me remember it better,” Slevin said. “I’m a very hands-on learner, so I can remember writing it. I can’t remember typing it.” 

Pennyworth, on the other hand, disagrees and thinks that notes should be taken electronically because of its relative convenience. 

“You always know where it is, you always have a copy of it no matter what device you’re on or where you are,” he said. “You can share with other people. And you can read it if your handwriting sucks. It’s great.” 

Pennyworth also feels that if you take notes on paper you can rip them, you can run out of room, and you have more color options on electronic devices. 

Regardless of one’s approach, the key is simply doing the work when it comes to studying. But isn’t it nice to know you’re making the most of the time you spend doing it?