Students share ups and downs of employment

Kelley Harris and her coworkers pose in their employers social media post. (Photo provided by Kelley Harris)

Kelley Harris and her coworkers pose in their employer’s social media post. (Photo provided by Kelley Harris)

Kenaya Nkunku, Staff Writer

Jobs help students develop a sense of responsibility. Many teens get jobs to help out their families, provide for themselves, or get one just to have something to do, and Deep Run students are no different.

“I got a job because I needed to help split the pay for my car insurance, and I needed to start providing for myself,” junior Kelley Harris said.

Many young workers don’t always agree with their wages. Some workers quickly learn they have to work in harsh conditions and deal with unfair managers and impatient customers.

“I think the wage I get paid is bad by itself, but the tips I make help a lot,” Harris said. “The work environment is very relaxed and everyone there is like family. Most of the customers are also pretty nice, especially the people who come in regularly, and you end up getting to know them very well.”

Balancing school, work, having a social life, and spending time with family can be stressful. All that pressure can take a toll on students getting their first glimpse at adult responsibilities and balance.

“It has made school, work, and socializing harder for me because I spend so much time working. It adds to the stress and is often tiring. I have thought about quitting multiple times, but work has helped my social skills tremendously,” Harris said. “I met a lot of amazing people and I’m making money.”   

Junior Sarah Zak got her first job over the course of the pandemic because she wanted to kill some time. She acknowledges there are some challenges at work, but she sees those challenges as a means for self-improvement. 

The downs are what you make them. If you are too hard on yourself you are less likely to grow and improve your skills.

— Junior Sarah Zak

“The downs are what you make them. If you are too hard on yourself you are less likely to grow and improve your skills, Zak said. “At one point I considered quitting and getting another job because it became hard to manage, but I think having supportive parents, teachers, and co-workers helps to bring the pressure down.”

Like Harris, Zak has found a sense of community in the workplace.

“I think every work environment is different. For me, we have a smaller staff than most places and it makes it easier to get to know your co-workers to help make working feel less like work,” Zak said.