Freshman aims to connect others through the language of art

Sandvig+shares+some+of+her+recent+work.+

Photo courtesy of: Swarnima Sharma

Sandvig shares some of her recent work.

Twinkle Sharma, Staff Writer

Freshman Lucy Sandvig is a passionate 14-year-old student artist who is dedicated to becoming the best possible version of themselves. They are on a journey of improving their lifestyle and art skills and aim to learn new things each day. Sandvig has a unique art style that they are still experimenting with in order to perfect each and every part of it.

Sandvig has been on their art journey for a good amount of time, and it is something they hold close to their heart. Sandvig values their role models and implements the wise words of those role models into their pieces of art.

“It has always been a constant journey and it started from a young age. Now, it is something I use to express myself which is crazy,” Sandvig said. 

Sandvig found artistic inspiration and support from family and caretakers from an early age. 

“My grandpa has always inspired me. When I do art, I always do it at his studio at my grandma’s house. His art is hung around the room, which gives me inspiration for my future art pieces,” Sandvig said.

Sandvig’s elementary school art teacher also helped them discover one of their biggest passions. Their experience in those childhood classes unleashed the creative aspect of their personality and helped them grow as an artist. 

“Well in elementary school I had a really good art teacher[…]. She was really good with having us do creative projects, and to see myself be good at something is what got me really interested in it,” Sandvig said. 

While on their art journey, Sandvig realized that having freedom and being able to show creativity is important in one’s art career.

“Being able to express yourself, like freely, without having to be bound. Especially in art. It’s not like math where there’s a right and wrong. You can do whatever makes you feel best, and you can just do whatever and call it art,” Sandvig said. “That’s what I like best about art. I like being able to show my emotions in an art piece, knowing that somewhere, someone in the world will like it.”

Certainly Sandvig has found a fan of their work in friend and supporter, freshman Cat Burreselli. 

“Their art is so cool. They do a lot of collaging and multimedia. It’s literally so cool because there’s an emotion and meaning behind every art piece. It’s like a map where you have to figure out what each part means, and it’s just so interesting. You can see the passion in their artwork,” Burreselli said.   

Throughout their several years of being an artist, Sandvig has been able to experiment with different techniques and find what they like to do best. It has taken them a good amount of time to find their true art style, which is still not perfected, and they believe that there are a lot of key components to it. 

“It’s been more of a recent thing and I still haven’t completely found it, but I guess seeing other people’s art really helped me. To me, an art style is made up by finding what you’re most comfortable with and what comes easiest to you. I used different parts and found, well [I am] still finding, what comes easiest to me, you know?” Sandvig said. 

Sandvig feels that art is a universal language that everyone shares but is unique to each individual, a uniqueness that’s highlighted in Sandvig’s own art.