Home away from home

Students and staff reveal favorite spots on campus

Math teacher Elizabeth Marshak sits at her desk in her classroom, a beloved school space.

Photo courtesy of: Alexa Stadler

Alexa Stadler, Staff writer

For many students,  there are some parts of Deep Run that feel much more like home than a school building.  

For sophomore Sohan Bandlapalle, math teacher Elizabeth Marshak’s classroom is the best spot on campus.

“I always look forward to going to her class and get sad when the bell rings and forces me to leave. Her room is so welcoming and open to all,” Bandlapalle said.

Algebra teacher Michelle Leath’s classroom has almost become a second home to Leath.

“Room 121 is where I have made all of my memories. I get to know my students, and watch them understand math. I try to keep my room welcoming, with colorful posters and humorous jokes,” Leath said.

The classrooms are greatly loved by the student body; however, for many athletes, the field or court will always be their number one spot on campus.

“The lacrosse field near the tennis courts is where most of my Deep Run memories have been made. It is where the girls lacrosse team practices and bonds,” junior Lizzie Tone said.

Freshman JV soccer player Zavier Gonzalez agrees with Tone.

My favorite spot on campus is the library just because I am surrounded by one of my favorite things: books. I also love it because I get to meet students from all different backgrounds and walks of life.

— Librarian, Joseph Harrell

“The Deep Run field is my favorite spot on campus because I get to work on improving my craft of soccer and bettering relationships with my teammates,” Gonzalez said. 

Sophomore Ryan “Ducky” Brooksbank’s favorite spot on campus is the student section of any sport because of the chants and rowdy students. 

Many students and staff members enjoy a peaceful respite in a sometimes chaotic environment; librarian Joe Harrell prefers the library over any other area of the school.

“My favorite spot on campus is the library just because I am surrounded by one of my favorite things: books. I also love it because I get to meet students from all different backgrounds and walks of life,” Harrell said.

Whether your favorite place on campus is the commons, a specific bench, or a teacher’s classroom, the Wildcat family will always love and remember these spots as a part of their home away from home.