Humans of Deep Run: JD Edmonds

Custodial Supervisor

Custodial supervisor JD Edmonds smiles in front of students eating lunch.

Alexa Stadler, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

“I have been with my wife, Caulet, for 28 years, and I have been working as a custodian for almost that long. I’ve stuck it out for so long because I get to be a supervisor and be a leader for others, which I think is one of my strong suits. In a school this size, it can be really difficult to stay on top of your work, so you have to be very organized, and it’s even harder when we are as short-staffed as we are right now. Even though we are very short-staffed, we make it work, and a huge thing that helps us is One Lunch. With One Lunch we get a full hour break, and then we only have to do one big big clean, as opposed to last year, we got only five minutes in between each lunch to clean and reset for the next set of students. I chose to be a custodian because since I was little I have been extremely clean and organized. I have always been a hard worker, and I really like working with children. I originally worked at Nuckols Farm Elementary for a few years until Deep Run was built, and let me tell you, high schoolers are way different than the little kids in elementary. They are messier, sloppier, and down right not nice. However, the positives outweigh the bad, and I try to be forgiving towards these students. I enjoy my job and the people I work with. It helps me bring food home for my wife and buy things for my grandchildren.”