Junior track athlete is a throwing sensation

Photo courtesy of: Jaleel Miller

Miller poses beside his statistics at the Adidas Track Nationals in Virginia Beach.

Grace Pleasants, Features Editor

Junior Jaleel Miller only started throwing shot-put and discus a year ago, and he is already soaring up the records charts. Miller’s personal record for shot put is 53 feet and 4 inches, and his personal record for discus is 143 feet.

Miller also plays football for the school. He often finds it difficult to juggle the demands of both sports at the same time, especially when the activities for track and football are happening simultaneously. However, it doesn’t stop him from doing his best in throwing.

“It definitely gets difficult, especially when both of my coaches want me to be in different places at the same time,” Miller said.

Miller throws during the indoor and outdoor track seasons. He prefers throwing during the indoor season because the shots are bigger, so they are easier to handle, and during the outdoor season the weather is hotter. 

Miller has plans to continue competing discus and shot put after high school, although he is unsure how long it may last.

“I don’t know if I will be pursuing a career in throwing, but I definitely plan on going to college for it,” Miller said. “I’ve talked to multiple coaches, but I don’t have any offers yet.”